Adventure & exiting paddle on Nam Tha River to explore real nature, Beautiful area of Nam Ha National Park with stunning kayaking views, also learning & experience different culture & daily life of different ethnic minorities along the river, stay overnight with Eco-lodge in Khmu villages of Ban Huay Lued, the second day the Nam Tha river has high water levels, so kayaking is very adventurous.
- Tour ID: NT-KY-02.
- River: Nam Tha River.
- Departure: Daily.
- Paddle approx. 5 hours/day.
- Difficulty level: Moderate adventure.
Day 1: Ban Mai Pasak-Ban Sope Tud-Ban Huaylued. Approx. 5 hours.
The trip starts on the banks of the Nam Tha at the boat landing, where you receive kayaking instructions and first practice. After a visit at the Lanten village of Ban Sope Tud, the Nam Tha accelerates at the “Tiger Leaping Rapid”. After a day on the river and in the forest, the night is spent in the Khmu village of Ban Huay lued as Home stay.
Day 2: Ban Huaylued-Hat Yong-Sinh Oudom-Hat Naleang. Approx. 5 hours.
The second day starts off with a Khmu style breakfast mainly consisting of what is in season at the time of year. The day is spent kayaking through mountainous scenery along the range that forms the eastern boundary of the Nam Ha NPA. The village where a pick-up awaits the group for transport back to Luang Namtha is reached by late afternoon. The optional return by river is in a traditional motor boat operated by area villagers. Approximately: 1:30 hour transfer/ 48 Km kayaking.
On this tour down the river you can watch cotton weaving, bamboo paper making, and the fascinating minority lifestyles. The boat travels through beautiful nature along the border of the Nam Ha NPA and stunning limestone scenery. You will stay overnight at a Tai Lue home and enjoy local style picnics.
Note: The River is best for rafting from July to November, for kayaking from July to December. Low water levels from January-June may make kayaking rocky.
- An experienced government certified, English speaking tour guide.
- Covered transport with an experienced certified driver.
- Overnight’s village accommodation: Traditional Minority house with outside toilet & shower facilities “Khmu lodge”.
- Kayaks and River equipment.
- Sleeping bags, foam mats and mosquito nets are supplied.
- Meals-Lunch x 2, Dinner x 1, Breakfast x1.
- Drinking water during the trip.
- Tour permit and provincial tax on net income.
What to bring:
Hat, sun-screen, clothes/shoes to get wet, warm change of clothes for the evening, mosquito repellent, sarong for bathing.